- 1 small to medium acorn squash (about 3/4 pound)
- 1/2 pound ground lean chicken or turkey
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons cholesterol-free egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons fat-free sour cream (optional)
- Ground red pepper (optional)
Pierce squash skin with fork. Place in microwaveable dish; microwave on HIGH 8 to 10 minutes or until tender. Cool 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine chicken, bell pepper, egg substitute, parsley, coriander, cinnamon, and black pepper in large bowl, mix lightly. Shape mixture into eight meatballs. Place meatballs in microwavable dish; microwave on HIGH 5 minutes or until cooked through. Set aside to cool.
Remove and discard seeds from cooled squash. Scrape squash flesh from shell into large saucepan; mash squash with potato masher. Add broth and meatballs to saucepan; cook over medium-high heat 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add additional liquid if necessary.
Garnish each serving with 1 tablespoon sour cream and ground red pepper.
Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 309 calories, Carbohydrates: 23 g, Protein: 31 g, Fat: 12 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 208 mg, Fiber: 4 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 1/2 Bread/Starch, 1/2 Fat, 3 Meat.
Copyright Diabetic Cooking.