Juicy grilled sirloin steak makes the perfect addition to this light and crispy Mediterranean-style salad. Featuring the colors of crunchy romaine lettuce, kalamata olives, artichoke hearts, cherry tomatoes and fresh basil, it’s as pleasing to the eye as it is to the palate.
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 beef top sirloin steak (about 1 pound and 3/4 inch thick), trimmed of fat
- 8 cups torn romaine lettuce
- 16 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 16 pitted kalamata olives, halved lengthwise
- 1 can (14 ounces) quartered artichoke hearts in water, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup fat-free Italian or Caesar salad dressing
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, cut into thin strips
Prepare grill for direct cooking or preheat broiler. Sprinkle garlic and pepper over steak.
Grill steak over medium-hot coals or broil 4 inches from heat 4 minutes per side for medium-rare or until desired doneness. Transfer steak to cutting board; tent with foil. Let stand at least 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine lettuce, tomatoes, olives, and artichoke hearts in large bowl. Add dressing; toss well. Transfer to four plates.
Cut steak crosswise into thin slices; arrange over salads. Drizzle juices from cutting board over steak. Sprinkle with basil.
Tip: Beef top sirloin steak is a versatile cut of meat that can be grilled, broiled or cooked in a skillet. When cooking steaks, use a spatula or tongs to prevent the loss of meat juices.
Yield: 4 servings.
Serving size: 1/4 of recipe.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 250 calories, Carbohydrates: 21 g, Protein: 30 g, Fat: 7 g, Saturated Fat: 2 g, Cholesterol: 53 mg, Sodium: 776 mg, Fiber: 9 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 Bread/Starch, 1 Vegetable, 3 Meat.
Copyright Diabetic Cooking.