Chilling time: 1 hour.
- 10 red leaf lettuce leaves
- 2 cups fresh pineapple cubes
- 1 1/2 cups Ugli fruit sections (approximately 1 Ugli fruit)
- 1 star fruit, sliced (approximately 3/4 cup)
- 1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges in juice, drained
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 1 carton (8 ounces) nonfat, artificially-sweetened vanilla yogurt
In a large bowl, combine pineapple, Ugli fruit sections, star fruit, and mandarin oranges. Toss gently to mix. Cover and chill about 1 hour.
Stir coconut extract into yogurt; set aside. Line each of 10 salad plates with a lettuce leaf. Place 1/2 cup fruit on lettuce. Spoon a dollop of yogurt mixture over each serving. Serve right away.
Yield: 5 cups fruit salad.
Serving size: 1/2 cup fruit plus topping.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 68 calories, Carbohydrates: 15 g, Protein: 2 g, Fat: 0 g, Saturated Fat: 0 g, Sodium: 15 mg, Fiber: 1 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 fruit. Carbohydrate choices: 1.
This recipe was developed by Tami Ross, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.