- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 8 ounces uncooked penne (tubular pasta)
- 3/4 pound medium shrimp, cooked and peeled (fully-cooked thawed frozen shrimp work well)
- 4 ounces smoked salmon, diced
- 1 1/2 cups lightly steamed, coarsely chopped asparagus
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon (or 1 teaspoon dry)
- 1 teaspoon fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
Fill a large saucepan 3/4 full of water and stir in curry powder until dispersed. Add pasta and cook according to package directions, omitting any salt. Drain well, cool with cold running water, and drain again; place in a large serving bowl. Add shrimp, salmon, and asparagus. In a small bowl, stir together the tarragon, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Using a whisk, briskly whisk in the oil while pouring it in a steady stream. Pour dressing over pasta and toss gently to coat well. Serve right away. Slightly warm leftovers in the microwave before serving.
Yield: 8 cups.
Serving size: 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 219 calories, Carbohydrates: 23 g, Protein: 16 g, Fat: 7 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Sodium: 450 mg, Fiber: 2 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat. Carbohydrate choices: 1 1/2.
This recipe was developed by Tami Ross, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.