- 1 garlic clove, cut in half
- 1 head curly endive, washed, dried, and torn into pieces
- 3 small heads Belgian endive, washed, dried, and sliced into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 1 navel orange, peeled and sectioned, with each section cut into 3 pieces
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons grainy mustard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Rub the inside of a salad bowl with the cut surfaces of the garlic clove. Discard garlic. Place all greens in the bowl. Add orange pieces, onion, and rosemary. In small bowl, whisk together the orange juice, vinegar, and mustard. Add the oil while continuing to whisk to create an emulsified mixture. Pour dressing over salad, toss, and serve immediately.
Yield: about 8 cups. Serving size: 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 72 calories, Carbohydrates: 9 g, Protein: 2 g, Fat: 4 g, Saturated Fat: <1 g, Sodium: 51 mg, Fiber: 5 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 vegetable, 1 fat. Carbohydrate choices: 1/2.
This recipe was developed by Nancy Cooper, a Contributing Editor of Diabetes Self-Management. Nancy is a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist at the International Diabetes Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota.