- 1 can (5 ounces) reduced-sodium tuna in water, drained and flaked
- 6 ounces whole wheat elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 2 cups frozen green peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup fat-free yogurt
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 hard-boiled egg, chopped
In a large bowl, lightly toss the tuna, macaroni, peas, onion, celery, and red pepper until mixed. In a smaller bowl, combine the mayonnaise, yogurt, mustard, and black pepper until well blended. Pour the mayonnaise mixture over the pasta and carefully mix until the pasta is evenly coated with the dressing. Sprinkle the egg pieces over the top, and chill well before serving.
Yield: 6 main-dish servings.
Serving size: 2 cups.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 260 calories, Carbohydrates: 33 g, Protein: 13 g, Fat: 9 g, Saturated Fat: 1.5 g, Cholesterol: 50 mg, Sodium: 270 mg, Fiber: 5 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 meat, 1 fat, 2 starch. Carbohydrate choices: 2.
This column is written by Sandy Bjerkness, R.D., L.D., a research dietitian and freelance writer from Rochester, Minnesota.