- 2 large tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 1 medium cucumber (about 7 inches long), thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1/3 cup Kalamata olives
- 2 teaspoons capers
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup crumbled reduced-fat Feta cheese
- 1 clove garlic, crushed (or 1 teaspoon bottled garlic)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Combine tomato slices, cucumber slices, and onion rings on a large platter or in a large bowl. Top with olives, capers, parsley, and crumbled Feta.
Place garlic, pepper, and lemon juice in a food processor or blender and pulse 4 times. With the food processor or blender running (hold lid partially over top of blender to keep ingredients from splashing out), carefully pour oil in a slow, steady stream, processing until smooth. Pour dressing over salad and serve (if salad is in a bowl, toss gently to coat).
Yield: 6 servings. Serving size: 1/6 of salad.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 130, Carbohydrates: 8 g, Protein: 2 g, Fat: 10 g, Saturated Fat: 2 g, Sodium: 220 mg, Fiber: 2 g
Exchanges per serving: 2 nonstarchy vegetable, 2 fat. Carbohydrate choices: 1/2.
This recipe was developed by Tami Ross, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.