- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups cooked corn kernels
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 or 2 fresh jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped, to taste
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red chili
Combine all ingredients in large bowl. Chill several hours before serving.
Yield: about 5 cups. Serving size: 1/2 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 143 calories, Carbohydrates: 20 g, Protein: 5 g, Fat: 6 g, Saturated Fat: <1 g, Sodium: 339 mg, Fiber: 4 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat. Carbohydrate choices: 1.
This recipe was developed by Nancy Cooper, a Contributing Editor of Diabetes Self-Management. Nancy is a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist at the International Diabetes Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota.