- 1 pound (about 2 medium) fresh zucchini, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon soft margarine
- 1/2 cup salsa, mild or hot, depending on preference (If watching sodium intake, look for reduced-sodium salsa.)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, shredded
In a medium saucepan bring a small amount of water to a boil and steam zucchini for 4–5 minutes; drain and set aside. Do not overcook the zucchini; it can turn mushy quickly if overcooked. While the zucchini is cooking, in another saucepan sauté the onion and garlic in the margarine until tender. Add the zucchini, cilantro, and salsa and heat over medium-low heat until heated through, about 1–2 minutes. Top with cheese and serve.
Yield: 4 servings. Serving size: 1/4 of recipe.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 91, Carbohydrates: 8 g, Protein: 3 g, Fat: 4 g, Saturated Fat: 2 g, Cholesterol: 10 mg, Sodium: 490 mg, Fiber: 2 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 vegetable, 1 fat. Carbohydrate choices: 1/2.