- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons drained, canned mild chili peppers, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup drained, cooked or canned kidney beans
- 1 cup drained, cooked or canned pinto beans
Heat oil in a large, heavy saucepan. Add chopped onion, garlic, green pepper, and chili peppers and sauté until soft. Add the tomatoes, spices, oregano, and sugar. Gently stir in beans. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for at least 30 minutes.
Yield: 4 servings.
Serving size: 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 260 calories, Carbohydrates: 46 g, Protein: 5 g, Fat: 3 g, Saturated Fat: <1 g, Sodium: 740 mg, Fiber: 12 g
Exchanges per serving: 3 starch, 1 fat, 1 vegetable. Carbohydrate choices: 3.
This recipe was developed by Angie Sharp, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist at the International Diabetes Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota.