- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 ounces baby portabella mushrooms
- (about 8–10 mushrooms), cleaned, stems removed, and sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1 ounce Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 loaf whole-grain Italian or French bread, about 3 inches wide and 2 inches high
- 4 grape tomatoes, cut in slices
Heat a small skillet over medium heat; add olive oil, minced garlic, and mushroom slices, and cook until mushrooms are slightly soft. Remove from heat and place in a food processor. Tear basil and parsley leaves into pieces and add to processor along with cheese and black pepper. Pulse until well combined. Slice off eight bread slices, each 1/3 inch thick. Top each slice with 1 teaspoon spread, and place on a broiler-safe tray. Broil until edges of bread are browned, just a few minutes. Remove and top with slices of tomato and serve.
Yield: 4 servings. Serving size: 2 slices.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 133 calories, Carbohydrates: 18 g, Protein: 4 g, Fat: 5 g, Saturated Fat: 2 g, Cholesterol: 5 mg, Sodium: 296 mg, Fiber: 2 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 starch, 1 fat. Carbohydrate choices: 1.
This recipe was developed by Kathleen Stanley, a Diabetes Educator at Central Baptist Hospital in Lexington, Kentucky.