- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 ounces soft goat cheese
- 2 ounces light cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, plus additional for garnish
- 1 loaf (16 ounces) French bread, cut into 24 slices (about 1 inch thick), lightly toasted
Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onions; cook and stir 10 minutes. Add wine, water, brown sugar, balsamic, salt, and pepper; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low; cook, uncovered, 15 to 20 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. (If mixture appears dry, stir in a few tablespoons of additional water.) Cool 30 minutes or cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Meanwhile, stir goat cheese, cream cheese, and 1 teaspoon thyme in small bowl until well blended.
Spread 1/2 teaspoon goat cheese mixture on each slice of bread. Top with 1 teaspoon onion jam. Garnish with additional thyme.
Yield: 24 crostinis. Serving size: 2 crostinis.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 172 calories, Carbohydrates: 26 g, Protein: 6 g, Fat: 4 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Cholesterol: 5 mg, Sodium: 430 mg, Fiber: 1 g
Exchanges per serving: 2 Bread/Starch, 1/2 Fat.
Copyright Diabetic Cooking.