- 2 tablespoons corn or canola oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons mild cayenne pepper sauce (such as Frank's Red Hot Sauce, not Tabasco Sauce)
- 1 clove garlic, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1/4 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed, dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pound peeled and deveined cooked shrimp (try precooked, frozen cocktail shrimp, thawed)
Combine all ingredients except the shrimp in a small bowl and whisk together. Place shrimp in a zip-top plastic bag, add marinade, and gently shake bag several times to coat the shrimp with marinade. Refrigerate at least 8 hours to allow the flavors to blend; gently shake the bag twice during marinating to recoat shrimp with marinade. Drain off excess marinade before serving.
Yield: approximately 40 shrimp. Serving size: 1/4 of recipe or approximately 10 shrimp (4 ounces by weight).
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 157, Carbohydrates: 1 g, Protein: 23 g, Fat: 7 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Sodium: 969 mg*, Fiber: <1 g
Exchanges per serving: 3 very lean meat, 1 fat.
*This recipe may not be suitable for people who need to limit their sodium intake.
This recipe was developed by Tami Ross, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.