- 1 1/2 cups dry tricolor wagon wheel pasta
- 1 cup frozen (defrosted) or canned (drained) whole kernel corn
- 1 cup canned, no-salt-added kidney beans, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped black olives
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- 1/2 cup low-fat grated Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons corn oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
Prepare pasta according to package directions by cooking it in boiling water. When pasta is tender, drain, rinse with cool water, and drain again. Place pasta in mixing bowl. Add corn, kidney beans, black olives, tomato, green pepper, green onion, and grated Cheddar cheese. Toss lightly to distribute ingredients. Whisk lemon juice, corn oil, and chili powder together in small bowl until blended. Pour dressing over pasta and toss. Pack in resealable plastic food containers and chill until serving time.
Yield: 7 portions. Serving size: 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 212 calories, Carbohydrates: 29 g, Protein: 9 g, Fat: 9 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Sodium: 107 mg, Fiber: 5 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat. Carbohydrate choices: 2.
This recipe was developed by Sharon Palmer, a registered dietitian and freelance writer in Southern California.