- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper,* minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups fat-free vegetable broth
- 1 can (about 14 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup no-salt-added canned pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell peppers, celery, jalapeño, and garlic; cook and stir 7 minutes.
Add broth, tomatoes, rice, beans, oregano, chili powder, salt, black pepper, and cumin. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Uncover; cook 10 minutes or until thickened.
Ladle chili into bowls; top each serving with 1 tablespoon cheese.
*Jalapeño peppers can sting and irritate the skin, so wear rubber gloves when handling peppers and do not touch your eyes.
Yield: 6 servings. Serving size: 1 1/4 cups.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 137 calories, Carbohydrates: 23 g, Protein: 6 g, Fat: 3 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Cholesterol: 5 mg, Sodium: 378 mg, Fiber: 5 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 1/2 Bread/Starch, 1/2 Fat.
Copyright Diabetic Cooking.