- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small butternut squash or medium delicata squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 1 large shallot or small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup uncooked arborio rice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (optional)
- 4 to 5 cups hot reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add squash; cook and stir 3 minutes. Add shallot; cook and stir 3 to 4 minutes or until squash is almost tender. Stir in paprika, thyme, salt, and pepper. Add rice; stir to coat.
Add wine, if desired; cook and stir until wine is absorbed. Add broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently until broth is absorbed before adding next 1/2 cup. Continue adding broth and stirring until rice is tender and mixture is creamy, about 20 to 25 minutes.
Sprinkle with cheese just before serving. (For a dairy-free risotto, omit the cheese, or replace it with a dairy-free version.)
Yield: 4 to 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 228 calories, Carbohydrates: 35 g, Protein: 8 g, Fat: 7 g, Saturated Fat: 2 g, Cholesterol: 6 mg, Sodium: 573 mg, Fiber: 4 g
Exchanges per serving: 2 Diabetic Carb Count, 2 Bread/Starch.
Copyright Diabetic Cooking.