- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup uncooked quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup liquid egg substitute
- 1/4 cup no-salt-added ketchup
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 dashes cayenne pepper
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
Combine rinsed and drained pinto and black beans in a large bowl; mash well using a potato masher. Stir in oats, egg substitute, ketchup, garlic powder, liquid smoke, cayenne pepper, and green onions; mix well. Allow mixture to stand 15 minutes to thicken, then shape into 5 (4-inch) patties approximately 1/2-inch in thickness.
Coat a large, nonstick skillet with cooking spray, add oil, and warm over medium to medium-high heat. Add burgers and cook 2–3 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned; turn using a large spatula to prevent burgers from breaking apart. Serve on whole wheat buns topped with favorite burger toppings.
Yield: 5 burgers. Serving size: 1 burger.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 215 calories, Carbohydrates: 29 g, Protein: 9 g, Fat: 7 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Sodium: 305 mg, Fiber: 8 g
Exchanges per serving: 2 starch, 1/2 fat. Carbohydrate choices: 2.
This recipe was developed by Tami Ross, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.