Looking for a way to jazz up that ol’ fall favorite, butternut squash? This sweet and savory dish serves as the perfect side to any meal. The additions of onions and carrots provide yummy flavor and texture.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 pound butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 8 ounces carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch diagonal slices (about 2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper (optional)
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
Preheat oven to 400°F. Line large baking sheet with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
Arrange vegetables in single layer on prepared baking sheet; spray with cooking spray. Sprinkle with brown sugar, salt, and pepper, if desired.
Bake 30 minutes. Gently stir; bake 10 to 15 minutes or until tender. Drizzle with butter; toss to coat.
Yield: 5 servings.
Serving size: 1 cup squash.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 143 calories, Carbohydrates: 30 g, Protein: 3 g, Fat: 3 g, Saturated Fat: 2 g, Cholesterol: 7 mg, Sodium: 167 mg, Fiber: 8 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 1/2 Bread/Starch, 1/2 Fat, 1 Vegetable.
Copyright Diabetic Cooking.