- 1 loaf (16 ounces) Italian bread
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons light ranch-style dressing
- 3 medium tomatoes (about 4 ounces each), sliced
- 1/4 medium purple onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 2 medium portabella mushrooms (about 6 ounces total), thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1 cup small broccoflower florets
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 375°F. Cut bread in half lengthwise. Lay each half on a baking sheet and spread each with about 1/4 cup dressing. Top bread evenly with tomato slices, onion rings, mushroom slices, green pepper strips, red pepper strips, and broccoflower. Drizzle very lightly with remaining dressing. Press on cheese. Bake for 20–25 minutes, or until vegetables are crisp-tender and cheese is melted. Cut each half loaf of bread into 6 equal pieces.
Yield: 12 servings.
Serving size: 1 slice.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 182 calories, Carbohydrates: 24 g, Protein: 8 g, Fat: 6 g, Saturated Fat: 2 g, Sodium: 390 mg, Fiber: 2 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 fat. Carbohydrate choices: 2.
This recipe was developed by Tami Ross, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.