- 2 large (6 1/2") whole wheat pita breads, cut in half(this recipe uses only 3 pita halves)
- 6 ounces unsalted tuna packed in water, drained
- 3 tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 leaves romaine lettuce
- 3 slices American cheese, cut in half diagonally to form triangles
- 6 slices fresh tomato
- 6 slices cucumber with peel (or peeled if preferred)
- 6 pitted kalamata or black olives
Slice pita bread in half. Use only three pita pocket halves for this recipe. Mix tuna salad in small bowl by combining drained tuna, fat-free mayonnaise, chopped celery, Worcestershire sauce, dill weed, and lemon juice. To assemble the pita sandwiches, place one romaine lettuce leaf inside each pita half. Scoop 5 tablespoons of tuna salad mixture (1/3 of recipe) into each pita half. Insert 2 triangles of American cheese into each pita half. Place 2 slices of tomato and 2 slices of cucumber in the pita sandwich. Garnish with two olives. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill until serving time.
Yield: 3 pita sandwich halves.
Serving size: 1 pita sandwich half.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 237 calories, Carbohydrates: 23 g, Protein: 23 g, Fat: 6 g, Saturated Fat: 2 g, Sodium: 678 mg, Fiber: 3 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 1/2 starch, 3 very lean meat. Carbohydrate choices: 1 1/2.
This recipe was developed by Sharon Palmer, a registered dietitian and freelance writer in Southern California.