- Nonstick cooking spray
- 6 ounces uncooked multigrain or whole wheat spaghetti
- 3/4 pound extra-lean ground beef
- 1/4 pound hot turkey Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons plain dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups tomato-basil pasta sauce
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Cook spaghetti according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain; keep warm.
Combine beef, sausage, egg white, bread crumbs, and oregano in medium bowl; mix well. Shape mixture into 16 (1 1/2-inch) meatballs. Place on prepared baking sheet; coat with cooking spray. Bake 12 minutes, turning once.
Pour pasta sauce into large skillet; add meatballs. Cook and stir over medium heat 9 minutes or until sauce is heated through and meatballs are cooked through (160°F). Divide among four plates. Top with meatballs and sauce; sprinkle with basil and Parmesan cheese.
Yield: 4 servings.
Serving size: 3 meatballs, 3/4 cup spaghetti and 3/4 cup sauce.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 388 calories, Carbohydrates: 41 g, Protein: 34 g, Fat: 10 g, Saturated Fat: 3 g, Cholesterol: 69 mg, Sodium: 760 mg, Fiber: 5 g
Exchanges per serving: 2 Bread/Starch, 2 Vegetable, 3 Meat.
Copyright Diabetic Cooking.