- 8 ounces whole wheat rotini or other curly whole wheat pasta
- 5 1/2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 12 ounces asparagus (about 20 asparagus), cut into 2-inch-pieces
- 8 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 12 ounces large sea scallops
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 3 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- Pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- Fresh basil for garnish
Prepare pasta according to package directions, omitting any salt or fat. Set aside and keep warm.
Meanwhile, heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Cook asparagus 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Toss in tomatoes and turn heat to low. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, cover and continue cooking about 5 additional minutes. (Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.) Add asparagus and tomatoes to pasta and keep warm.
Toss scallops with 1 teaspoon oil, lemon juice, garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper in large bowl. (Do not marinate.)
In same skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add scallops and sprinkle with salt. Cook about 3 minutes per side until scallops are opaque.
Combine pesto and sour cream in small bowl; add to vegetable and pasta mixture, mix well. Add red pepper flakes, if desired. Arrange scallops on top and garnish with fresh basil.
Yield: 6 servings. Serving size: about 1 to 1 1/4 cups.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 314 calories, Carbohydrates: 37 g, Protein: 17 g, Fat: 11 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Cholesterol: 19 mg, Sodium: 383 mg, Fiber: 5 g
Exchanges per serving: 2 Bread/Starch, 2 Fat, 1 Vegetable, 1 Meat.
Copyright Diabetic Cooking.