- 4 cups water
- 2 cups dry Ronzoni Healthy Harvest Whole Wheat Wide Noodles
- 1 envelope (2.6 ounces) tuna, packed in water
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Healthy Request Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium teriyaki sauce
- 1/4 cup canned peeled, sliced water chestnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/4 cup canned rice noodles
Bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat. Add noodles and cook until tender, about 8–10 minutes. Drain noodles well, and place in a small mixing bowl. In a small wire strainer, rinse tuna under cool water to remove some of the sodium. Drain well by pressing on the tuna with a fork or spatula. Combine tuna, soup, peas, teriyaki sauce, black pepper, and water chestnuts with noodles, stirring with a spoon. Spray a small microwave-safe casserole with nonstick cooking spray. Spoon mixture into dish evenly. Heat in microwave on high for about 4 minutes until hot. Remove from oven and sprinkle top with rice noodles.
Yield: 2 servings.
Serving size: 2 cups.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 350 calories, Carbohydrates: 55 g, Protein: 21 g, Fat: 5 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Cholesterol: 24 mg, Sodium: 791 mg, Fiber: 9 g
Exchanges per serving: 3 1/2 starch, 2 lean meat. Carbohydrate choices: 3 1/2.
Kathleen Stanley is a Diabetes Educator at Central Baptist Hospital in Lexington, Kentucky.