- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 small ribs of celery, finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (leaves)
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground turkey (7% fat)
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1/3 cup plus 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 cup fresh whole wheat or white bread crumbs
- Nonstick cooking spray
Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat olive oil in a large skillet; add onion, garlic, and celery and sauté until vegetables are soft. Place ground turkey in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together egg whites and skim milk. Add to turkey and combine well. Add sautéed vegetables to turkey mixture, along with 1/3 cup ketchup, the mustard, and the bread crumbs. Spray a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. Press the mixture evenly into the loaf pan. With a basting brush or spoon, spread remaining ketchup in a thin layer on top. Bake for approximately 45–50 minutes, or until meat loaf is cooked through and brown. Let sit 10 minutes before slicing.
Yield: 1 meatloaf. Serving size: 1/6 of meatloaf.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 277 calories, Carbohydrates: 12 g, Protein: 28 g, Fat: 13 g, Saturated Fat: 3 g, Cholesterol: 102 mg, Sodium: 533 mg, Fiber: 1 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 starch, 4 lean meat. Carbohydrate choices: 1.
This recipe was developed by Kathleen Stanley, a Diabetes Educator at Central Baptist Hospital in Lexington, Kentucky.