- 1 can (15 1/4 ounces) pineapple tidbits in juice, drained, with juice reserved
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken tenderloins (alternately, 2-inch-wide strips of boneless, skinless chicken breast can be used)
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine 1/4 cup of reserved pineapple juice (discard remainder), honey, vinegar, and black pepper in a small bowl; whisk well and set aside. Place chicken in an 8″ x 8″ baking pan coated with cooking spray. Top evenly with pineapple tidbits, onion, and peppers. Pour juice mixture over. Bake uncovered until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes.
Yield: 5 servings. Serving size: 1/5 of recipe.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 209, Carbohydrates: 29 g, Protein: 21 g, Fat: 1 g, Saturated Fat: <1 g, Sodium: 69 mg, Fiber: 1 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 fruit, 1 nonstarchy vegetable, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 3 very lean meat. Carbohydrate choices: 2.
This recipe was developed by Tami Ross, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.