- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened orange juice
- 1 package (10 ounces) unsweetened frozen blueberries, thawed (approximately 2 cups)
- 2 2/3 cups low-fat, no-sugar-added vanilla ice cream
- 1 honeydew melon (approximately 6 pounds), peeled and cut into 8 slices
- Fresh blueberries (optional)
In a saucepan, whisk together cornstarch and orange juice. Add thawed blueberries. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook 1 minute (or until sauce thickens), gently stirring constantly. Set aside to cool slightly, approximately 10 minutes.
To serve, place a 1/3-cup scoop of ice cream on each honeydew slice. Drizzle with 2 1/2 tablespoons blueberry sauce. Garnish with fresh blueberries if desired.
Blueberry sauce may be prepared ahead and thinned with unsweetened orange juice, if desired, when reheating.
Yield: 8 sundaes. Serving size: 1 sundae.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 228 calories, Carbohydrates: 45 g, Protein: 4 g, Fat: 3 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Sodium: 75 mg, Fiber: 3 g
Exchanges per serving: 2 fruit, 1 skim milk, 1/2 fat. Carbohydrate choices: 3.
This recipe was developed by Tami Ross, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.