- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 cups finely grated zucchini (from about 2 medium, 6-inch-long, unpeeled)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 whole eggs plus 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Splenda, No Calorie Sweetener, Granular
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Fat-free, nondairy whipped topping (optional)
- 15 berries of any kind (optional)
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9″ x 13″ baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients and mix well. Add remaining ingredients and stir until well blended. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 30–35 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool. Cut into 15 servings (5 rows in one direction and 3 in the other). If desired, top each piece of cake with 1 tablespoon fat-free nondairy whipped topping and a berry of your choice. (Topping provides less than 5 grams of carbohydrate and is considered a free food).
Yield: 15 servings.
Serving size: 3" x 2 1/2" Square.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 181 calories, Carbohydrates: 20 g, Protein: 5 g, Fat: 9 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Sodium: 268 mg, Fiber: 2 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 starch, 2 fat. Carbohydrate choices: 1.
Kathleen Stanley is a Diabetes Educator at Central Baptist Hospital in Lexington, Kentucky.