Fresh raspberries and sliced peaches set the stage for this seasonal dessert, while grated lemon peel adds a hint of zest that truly takes this delightful dish to the next level.
- 4 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 1/4 pounds peaches, peeled and sliced or 1 package (16 ounces) frozen unsweetened sliced peaches, thawed and drained
- 2 cups fresh raspberries or 1 package (12 ounces) frozen unsweetened raspberries
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cold margarine, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray eight ramekins or 11×7-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; place ramekins in baking dish.
Combine 2 tablespoons sugar and 2 tablespoons flour in large bowl. Add peaches, raspberries, and lemon peel; toss to coat. Divide fruit evenly among prepared ramekins. Bake 15 minutes or until fruit is bubbly around edges.
Meanwhile, combine remaining 3/4 cup flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl. Cut in margarine with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk just until dry ingredients are moistened.
Remove ramekins from oven; top fruit with equal dollops of topping. Sprinkle topping with remaining 2 teaspoons sugar. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until topping is lightly browned. Serve warm.
Yield: 8 servings.
Serving size: 1/8 of recipe.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 149 calories, Carbohydrates: 28 g, Protein: 3 g, Fat: 3 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Cholesterol: 1 mg, Sodium: 195 mg, Fiber: 3 g
Carbohydrate choices: 1 Bread/Starch, 1 Fat, 1 Fruit.
Copyright Diabetic Cooking.