- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup mashed cooked or canned sweet potatoes
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray 12 standard (2 1/2-inch) muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray. Combine 2 tablespoons brown sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in small bowl; mix well. Set aside.
Combine flour, baking powder, remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon, salt, baking soda and allspice in large bowl. Stir in remaining 1/3 cup brown sugar. Combine sweet potatoes, buttermilk, oil and egg in medium bowl; mix well. Stir into flour mixture just until moistened. Spoon evenly into prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle with brown-sugar cinnamon mixture.
Bake 14 to 16 minutes or until toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean. Remove to wire rack; cool completely.
Yield: 12 muffins. Serving size: 1 muffin.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 166, Carbohydrates: 26 g, Protein: 3 g, Fat: 6 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Cholesterol: 19 mg, Sodium: 256 mg, Fiber: 1 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 1/2 Bread/Starch, 1 Fat.
Copyright Diabetic Cooking.