- 4 large tomatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 large cucumber (about 12 ounces), peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chopped purple onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon canola or corn oil
- 2 tablespoons mild cayenne pepper sauce (such as Frank's Red Hot Sauce, not Tabasco)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tomato, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 yellow pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
Place tomatoes, pepper, cucumber, onion, garlic, vinegar, oil, hot sauce, and salt in blender or food processor. Cover and process until smooth (you may have to process in two batches). Transfer to a serving bowl, cover, and chill at least two hours before serving to allow the flavors to blend. Sprinkle with vegetable garnish before serving. (Chopped vegetable garnish may be stored in a zip-top bag).
Yield: 6 cups.
Serving size: 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 95 calories, Carbohydrates: 14 g, Protein: 3 g, Saturated Fat: <1 g, Sodium: 540 mg, Fiber: 2 g
Exchanges per serving: 3 vegetable, 1/2 fat. Carbohydrate choices: 1.
This recipe was developed by Tami Ross, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.