- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 2 cups diced peeled sweet potatoes
- 1 can (about 15 ounces) Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (about 14 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups coarsely chopped kale leaves (lightly packed)
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Heat oil in large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery; cook and stir 4 minutes or until onion is softened. Stir water, sweet potatoes, beans, tomatoes, rosemary, salt, if desired, and pepper into saucepan. Cover and bring to a simmer; reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
Add kale; cover and cook 10 minutes or until tender.
Ladle soup into bowls; sprinkle with cheese.
Note: Choose kale in small bunches with firm leaves and a rich, deep color. Avoid bunches with limp, wilted, or discolored leaves. To remove the tough stems, make a “V-shaped” cut where the stem joins the leaf. Stack the leaves and cut them into pieces.
Yield: 4 servings.
Serving size: 1 1/2 cups.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 286 calories, Carbohydrates: 48 g, Protein: 13 g, Fat: 6 g, Saturated Fat: 2 g, Cholesterol: 4 mg, Sodium: 189 mg, Fiber: 11 g
Exchanges per serving: 3 Bread/Starch, 1 Meat.
Copyright Diabetic Cooking.