- 1 can (4 ounces) diced mild green chiles
- 1/4 cup light sour cream, plus additional for garnish
- 1/4 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 can (about 14 ounces) fat-free reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
Combine chiles, 1/4 cup sour cream, and cilantro in food processor or blender; process until smooth.*
Combine pumpkin, broth, water, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and red pepper, if desired, in medium saucepan; stir in 1/4 cup green chile mixture. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium. Simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Ladle soup into four serving bowls; top each serving with small dollops of remaining green chile mixture and additional sour cream, if desired. Run tip of spoon through dollops to swirl.
*Note. Or omit food processor step by adding green chiles directly to soup. Finely chop cilantro and combine with sour cream. Dollop soup with sour cream-cilantro mixture as directed.
Yield: 4 servings. Serving size: 1 bowl soup (1/4 of total recipe) without additional sour cream.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 72, Carbohydrates: 12 g, Protein: 4 g, Fat: 1 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Cholesterol: 5 mg, Sodium: 276 mg, Fiber: 4 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 Bread/Starch.
Copyright Diabetic Cooking.