- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons (or 2 cloves) minced garlic
- 3 cups 50% reduced-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) canned pumpkin
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)
- 1 tablespoon Splenda sweetener
- 6 ounces evaporated skim milk
Place oil in a 2-quart pan. Add onion and garlic and cook over medium-high heat for 2–3 minutes, or until tender; stir frequently. Whisk in broth, pumpkin, curry powder, allspice, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and Splenda; mix well. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low-medium, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15–20 minutes. Whisk in evaporated skim milk and return to a simmer. If a smooth consistency is desired, transfer soup to a blender or food processor (in batches, if necessary), cover, and blend until smooth. Serve warm.
Yield: 6 cups. Serving size: 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 69 calories, Carbohydrates: 12 g, Protein: 3 g, Fat: 1 g, Saturated Fat: <1 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 362 mg, Fiber: 3 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 starch. Carbohydrate choices: 1.
Tami Ross is a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.