Nothing soothes quite like chicken noodle soup. Whether you’re fighting a cold or flu or are just looking for a portable lunch, this recipe is sure to hit the spot! And with only 25 minutes of preparation time and 10 grams of carbohydrate per serving, it won’t have a big impact on your schedule or your diabetes control.
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) 50% less sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt-free herb seasoning (such as Spice Islands Salt-Free Original Seasoning or Mrs. Dash)
- 2 teaspoons instant minced onions
- 2 cups uncooked, cholesterol-free egg noodles
- 1 can (10 ounces) 96% fat-free chunk chicken in water
- 1 can (15 ounces) no-salt-added mixed vegetables, drained
- Black pepper to taste
Place broth, water, salt-free seasoning, and instant minced onions in a 2-quart pan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and add noodles; cook until tender (approximately 6–8 minutes). Drain and flake chicken; stir into soup along with vegetables. Season with black pepper to taste. Heat through.
Yield: 9 1/2 cups.
Serving size: 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 89 calories, Carbohydrates: 10 g, Protein: 10 g, Fat: 1 g, Saturated Fat: <1 g, Sodium: 284 mg, Fiber: 2 g
Exchanges per serving: 1/2 starch, 1 nonstarchy vegetable, 1 very lean meat. Carbohydrate choices: 1.
This recipe was developed by Tami Ross, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.