- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 bell peppers, coarsely chopped (1 green and 1 yellow)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) no-salt-added chickpeas, drained
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) no-salt-added stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable juice
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add bell peppers and garlic; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in chickpeas, tomatoes with their juices, vegetable juice, and red pepper flakes; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer, uncovered, 12 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Ladle into shallow bowls; top with feta cheese and basil.
Yield: 5 servings. Serving size: 1 cup per serving.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 185 calories, Carbohydrates: 30 g, Protein: 9 g, Fat: 5 g, Saturated Fat: 2 g, Cholesterol: 4 mg, Sodium: 340 mg, Fiber: 8 g
Exchanges per serving: 2 Bread/Starch, 1 Fat.
Copyright Diabetic Cooking.