- 6 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomatoes, no salt added
- 1 cup coarsely chopped celery
- 1 cup sliced onions
- 1 cup coarsely chopped carrots
- 1 1/2 cups sliced green cabbage
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup frozen, thawed green peas
- 1/2 cup kasha
In a large pot, add chicken broth, canned tomatoes, celery, onions, carrots, cabbage, garlic, black pepper, and bay leaves. Place on high heat and cover. When mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30–40 minutes until vegetables are tender. Add green peas, cover and cook an additional 10 minutes. Add kasha, cover and cook an additional 5 minutes. Uncover and stir, checking to make sure adequate moisture is in pot. Add water, if necessary, to bring total volume of soup to 8 cups. Cover pot and cook an additional 5 minutes. Remove bay leaves and serve immediately.
Yield: 8 cups.
Serving size: 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 98 calories, Carbohydrates: 20 g, Protein: 4 g, Fat: <1 g, Saturated Fat: <1 g, Sodium: 106 mg, Fiber: 3 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 starch, 1 vegetable. Carbohydrate choices: 1 1/2.
Sharon Palmer is a registered dietitian and freelance writer in Southern California.