- 1 boneless beef top sirloin steak (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 medium carrots or parsnips, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 2 cans (about 14 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 can (about 14 ounces) diced tomatoes with Italian seasoning
Cut beef into 1-inch pieces. Heat oil over medium-high heat in large skillet. Brown beef on all sides; set aside.
Place carrots and onion in slow cooker; sprinkle with thyme, rosemary and pepper. Top with barley and beef. Pour broth and tomatoes over beef.
Cover; cook on LOW 8 to 10 hours or until beef is tender.
Tip: Choose pearl barley rather than quick-cooking barley, because it will stand up to longer cooking.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Copyright Diabetic Cooking.