- 2 (8 ounces each) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 6 cups water
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) fat-free, 1/3-less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup finely diced carrot
- 1 cup diced onion (approximately 1/2 large onion)
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 ounces dry angel hair pasta (break noodles in half)
Place chicken, water, broth, carrot, onion, and celery in a one-gallon pot and bring to a boil. Cook until chicken is no longer pink (about 15 minutes). Remove chicken and skim any fat from broth (or refrigerate broth for 2 to 3 hours and then skim fat). Dice chicken into bite-size pieces. Return chicken to the skimmed broth along with all remaining ingredients. Place over high heat and return to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-high and boil gently until pasta is cooked (3 to 5 minutes). Serve right away; the pasta will continue to absorb liquid if the soup is left simmering.
Yield: 8 cups. Serving size: 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 151 calories, Carbohydrates: 10 g, Protein: 21 g, Fat: 3 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Sodium: 276 mg, Fiber: <1 g
Exchanges per serving: 1/2 starch, 3 very lean meat. Carbohydrate choices: 1.
This recipe was developed by Tami Ross, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.