- 4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1 cup low-fat vanilla-flavored yogurt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Sprigs of fresh basil or mint (optional)
Reserve a few strawberries for a garnish, then place the rest in a food processor or blender and purée until smooth. Add the orange juice, buttermilk, yogurt, sugar, and nutmeg and process briefly. Refrigerate until time to serve. Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with reserved strawberries and a sprig of basil or mint.
Yield: 6 servings. Serving size: 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 114 calories, Carbohydrates: 22 g, Protein: 5 g, Fat: 1 g, Saturated Fat: <1 g, Sodium: 90 mg, Fiber: 2 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 fruit, 1/2 skim milk. Carbohydrate choices: 1 1/2.
This recipe was developed by Angie Sharp, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist at the International Diabetes Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota.