- 2 tablespoons reduced-calorie margarine
- 1 package (8 ounces) crimini mushrooms, sliced (plain white mushrooms can be substituted)
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) fat-free beef broth
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons Burgundy wine (can omit)
Melt margarine in a large pan. Add mushrooms and onions and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until onions are translucent (about 5 minutes). Stir in basil, pepper, garlic salt, and beef broth. Bring to a boil, lower heat to medium, and whisk in tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, and wine. Heat through.
Yield: 5 1/4 cups.
Serving size: 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 90 calories, Carbohydrates: 11 g, Protein: 7 g, Fat: 2 g, Saturated Fat: <1 g, Sodium: 370 g, Fiber: 2 g
Exchanges per serving: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat. Carbohydrate choices: 1.
This recipe was developed by Tami Ross, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.