- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion (1/2 medium onion)
- 1 cup peeled, diced apple (1 medium apple)
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 box (12 ounces) frozen, cooked winter squash, thawed (see Tips)
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 4 tablespoons fat-free sour cream (optional)
- Pumpkin pie spice (optional)
Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion. Cook and stir 3 minutes or until onion is translucent. Do not brown. Add apple, spice, salt, and pepper. Cook and stir 1 minute to coat apples. Add broth. Simmer, uncovered, 8 to 10 minutes or until apples are tender and most stock has evaporated.
Add thawed squash and milk to apple mixture. Simmer, uncovered, 6 to 8 minutes or until flavors are blended and soup is hot. Ladle into bowls. Garnish with sour cream and pumpkin pie spice, if desired.
Tips: To easily thaw frozen box of squash, place in microwavable container. Cover. Microwave on high 3 minutes. Stir. Microwave 1 minute more if needed to thaw completely.
Cook’s note: For added flavor, cook 1 clove garlic, minced, and 1 tablespoon minced, peeled, fresh ginger with the onion. Or add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon mild curry powder with the pumpkin pie spice.
Yield: 6 servings. Serving size: 1/2 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 84, Carbohydrates: 15 g, Protein: 5 g, Fat: 2 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Cholesterol: 2 mg, Sodium: 160 mg, Fiber: 1 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 Bread/Starch, 1/2 Milk.
Copyright Diabetic Cooking.