- 3 cans (14 ounces each) fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 package (12 ounces) prepared and cooked turkey meatballs
- 2 ounces (about 1/4 cup) Acini Di Pepe pasta or pastina
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 pound fresh spinach (about 6 cups), washed and drained
- 4 dashes hot sauce (to taste)
In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil over medium-high heat. Add meatballs, pasta, garlic powder, olive oil, oregano, and black pepper and bring to a boil. While waiting for the boil, finely chop the spinach, reducing volume to about 2 cups when chopped. Add spinach and hot sauce to saucepan, and lower heat immediately; stir to combine. Simmer about 8–10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Yield: 4 servings. Serving size: 1 1/2 cups.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 177 calories, Carbohydrates: 10 g, Protein: 14 g, Fat: 9 g, Saturated Fat: 3 g, Cholesterol: 32 mg, Sodium: 540 mg, Fiber: 1 g
Exchanges per serving: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat. Carbohydrate choices: 1.
This recipe was developed by Kathleen Stanley, a Diabetes Educator at Central Baptist Hospital in Lexington, Kentucky.