- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- 3 tablespoons commercial bacon bits
- 1 teaspoon (or 1 clove) minced garlic
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 cans (14.5 ounces each) fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 medium head cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add bacon bits, garlic, and onion and cook, stirring frequently, until onion is tender (about 3–4 minutes). Add a few drops of water if the mixture begins to stick. Stir in flour, then add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Stir in cabbage, carrots, celery, parsley, salt, and red pepper flakes. Return to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to low-medium, and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in frozen peas and sour cream, heat through, and serve right away.
Yield: 8 1/2 cups.
Serving size: 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 67 calories, Carbohydrates: 7 g, Protein: 3 g, Fat: 3 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Sodium: 250 mg, Fiber: 2 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat. Carbohydrate choices: 1/2.
This recipe was developed by Tami Ross, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.