- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 pound fresh or frozen broccoli florets or spears
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 cup fat-free (skim) milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green onions
Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions; cook and stir 4 minutes or until translucent. Add broccoli and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 10 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
Working in batches, process mixture in food processor or blender until smooth. Return mixture to saucepan; heat over medium heat.
Whisk in cream cheese until melted. Stir in milk, salt, if desired, and red pepper; cook 2 minutes or until heated through. Top with green onions.
Yield: 5 servings. Serving size: 1 cup soup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 115 calories, Carbohydrates: 16 g, Protein: 7 g, Fat: 4 g, Saturated Fat: 2 g, Cholesterol: 10 mg, Sodium: 569 mg, Fiber: 4 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 Bread/Starch, 1 Meat.
Copyright Diabetic Cooking.