- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can (about 14 ounces) no-salt-added fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup cooked pearl barley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, zucchini, celery, and garlic; cook and stir 7 minutes.
Add broth, tomatoes, barley, parsley, oregano, salt, and pepper to saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook 15 to 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender and soup is thickened.
Ladle soup into bowls; top each serving with 1 tablespoon cheese.
Yield: 6 servings.
Serving size: 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 102 calories, Carbohydrates: 15 g, Protein: 4 g, Fat: 3 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Cholesterol: 5 mg, Sodium: 316 mg, Fiber: 3 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 Bread/Starch, 1/2 Fat.
Copyright Diabetic Cooking.