- 2 quarts water
- 1 pound shelled and cooked medium frozen shrimp (21–24 count)
- 1/4 cup no-added-salt tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2–3 drops hot pepper sauce
- 24 toothpicks
- 3 leaf lettuce leaves for presentation
Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add frozen shrimp and cook approximately 3 minutes until shrimp are heated through. Drain.
In a small bowl, whisk together tomato paste, garlic, crushed red pepper, olive oil, basil, black pepper, and hot sauce. Pour mixture into a large skillet and heat at a low heat, stirring constantly. Add hot, cooked shrimp and stir to coat with sauce. Place 1 toothpick in each shrimp. Serve immediately on a large plate covered with 3 lettuce leaves.
Yield: 8 servings. Serving size: about 3 shrimp.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 87 calories, Carbohydrates: 2 g, Protein: 14 g, Fat: 2 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Cholesterol: 112 mg, Sodium: 65 mg, Fiber: 0 g
Exchanges per serving: 2 lean meat.
This recipe was developed by Kathleen Stanley, a diabetes educator at Central Baptist Hospital in Lexington, Kentucky.