- 1 pound medium raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons lime juice, divided
- 1 cup finely chopped seedless watermelon
- 1/2 cup finely chopped jicama
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeño pepper,* minced
- 56 water crackers
Remove tails from shrimp; discard. Chop shrimp into small pieces.
Combine shrimp and 1/2 cup lime juice in medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour or until shrimp are pink and opaque. Drain; discard juice.
Meanwhile, combine watermelon, jicama, onion, cilantro, jalapeño, and remaining 2 tablespoons lime juice in large bowl. Gently stir in shrimp. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes to allow flavors to develop.
Serve on or with water crackers.
Note: While the shrimp aren’t traditionally cooked, the citric acid from the lime juice “cooks” the shrimp while they are marinating.
*Note: Jalapeño peppers can sting and irritate the skin, so wear rubber gloves when handling peppers and do not touch your eyes.
Yield: 28 servings. Serving size: 2 topped crackers.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 44, Carbohydrates: 7 g, Protein: 3 g, Fat: 1 g, Saturated Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 20 mg, Sodium: 132 mg, Fiber: 1 g
Exchanges per serving: 1/2 Bread/Starch.
Copyright Diabetic Cooking.