- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained
- 1 fresh jalapeño, seeded and cut into chunks (more or less to taste)
- 1 small onion, cut into chunks
- Half a 4 1/2-ounce can chopped green chilies, drained
- 1/3 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon (or 1 clove) minced garlic
- Juice of half a small lime
In a food processor, combine diced tomatoes and green chilies with jalapeño and onion. Process until desired texture is reached. Transfer to a bowl and stir in green chilies, cilantro, garlic, and lime juice. Refrigerating for at least one hour will allow flavors to blend.
Yield: 2 cups. Serving size: 1/4 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 14 calories, Carbohydrates: 3 g, Protein: <1 g, Fat: <1 g, Saturated Fat: <1 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 174 mg, Fiber: 1
Exchanges per serving: Free.
Tami Ross is a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.