- 1 bag (about 12 cups) popped low-fat butter-flavored popcorn
- 3 cups rice square cereal (such as Rice Chex)
- 3 cups wheat square cereal (such as Wheat Chex)
- 1 bag (5 1/2 ounces) or 3 cups Goldfish pretzel snack crackers (may substitute pretzel sticks)
- 3 cups reduced-fat baked cheese snack crackers (such as reduced-fat Cheez-Its)
- 1 stick reduced-calorie margarine, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 300°F. In a large bowl, combine popcorn, rice square cereal, wheat square cereal, pretzels, and cheese crackers. In a small bowl, whisk together melted margarine, garlic powder, seasoned salt, and onion salt. Pour one-third of butter mixture over cereal mixture and toss to coat. Repeat twice. Sprinkle with half of Parmesan cheese and toss to coat. Repeat. Pour cereal into two 9″ x 13″ pans and bake for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Cool to room temperature. Store in airtight container.
Yield: 18 cups. Serving size: 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 162, Carbohydrates: 23 g, Protein: 4 g, Fat: 6 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Sodium: 391 mg, Fiber: 1 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 1/2 starch, 1 fat. Carbohydrate choices: 1 1/2.
This recipe was developed by Tami Ross, a Diabetes Nutrition Specialist and Certified Diabetes Educator in Lexington, Kentucky.