- 1 pound fresh whole green beans, washed, ends trimmed off
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 10 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
Steam green beans in a steamer (or use a steaming basket in saucepan) for about 5 minutes until bright green and still slightly crisp. Immediately rinse under cold running water, until cool to the touch. Drain. Place in a serving dish. In a small bowl, combine olive oil, red wine vinegar, mustard, water, and garlic powder with a small whisk or spoon. Pour over green beans. Add green onions and tomatoes, toss well, and serve.
Yield: 4 servings.
Serving size: 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 123 calories, Carbohydrates: 12 g, Protein: 3 g, Fat: 7 g, Saturated Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 62 mg, Fiber: 5 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 starch, 1 1/2 fat. Carbohydrate choices: 1 1/2.
Kathleen Stanley is a Diabetes Educator at Central Baptist Hospital in Lexington, Kentucky.